Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What to write about?

I was thinking about it for a while now. More and more things happen – many worth mentioning. Easiest way (I suppose) will be to start from…

Electricity problem in Ghana.

It’s on everyone mouth. “Light off” you can hear in radio, read in newspaper, talk with other people. Considering recent events I will use word – crisis – to describe situation here.

Only last week we did not have lights (at all) for straight 4 days. Rarely they bring lights back for straight 24 hours. Many parts of town suffer same thing, plus, situation is same in whole country.

In the meantime Ghana has biggest power supply crisis ever:

- looks like Ghana is still selling electricity to nearby countries (insane situation);

- government best idea so far is to bring 5 mln energy saving light bulbs! (no comment), same time they desperately bring back old ideas of building new power plants (who could suspect situation could turn out this way)

- existing power plans, generators, lines are OLD and tend to break down on frequent basis

- there are rumors telling that if you pay your lights won’t be cut off (want lights for wedding or funeral – just pay)…

- there are no signs of improving situation earlier than by end of this year (short term activities) and in next 5 years – great isn’t it?

- each time lights go off I call power plant asking what happened and when they expect to fix the problem – I must say every time I call I get different answer (that’s true art of lies), you simply can’t believe any word they will tell you.

Same time many small enterprises have gone bankrupt, prices of certain products have risen – this does not look good for economy…

Anyway how this situation affects us? Personally I feel helpless; lack of lights means no air condition, no internet, no power to charge my cell phone. My work is much harder atm. We get used to sleeping without air condition but it’s not always easy (thx for beginning of rain season – it’s much more cooler outside in general). Also when we are done with our work, there is not much we can do. If we have some power left – we watch some movies on our laptops… but imagine situation when there is no power in 2 laptops, palmtop, ipod and camera – sux isn’t it? And yeah I’m addicted to electronic devices!

What Ghana people do when lights are off? Generally I admire their patience. Although recently in radio voices raise that people should go and protest in streets, if situation won’t improve I can’t say what will happen – I suspect not nice things for sure.

Side note: about power supply problems and other Ghana issues you can read through 3rd link I have just added on sideboard. This site is one I use to get some inside Ghana information.

Side note2: more notes incoming –as promised.

Ok enough complaining – I have good news too – today we finally got power generator – so now we have lights whenever we want. **** mr. Power Plant I say


Isn't it beautiful?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:13 am, Blogger Wael in Panama said...

Congratulations on getting the generator. Does it run on gasoline? How much electricity can it provide, for how long?

In Panama the power goes out often. I have many candles, and wind-up flashlights. And books. Remember books? Ha ha.

 
At 11:11 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's great that you've got a generator. I wanted to share with you something funny and serious at the same time. Found this article about how to act around crazy women, hope you enjoy it: https://yen.com.gh/83229-how-survive-a-crazy-relationship-men.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home